Monthly pageviews
Magnus Manske
2010-11-15 18:22:10 UTC
Hi,

I know there are lots'o'files for daily (hourly?) pageview stats on
the toolserver.

Are there aggregated counts for the whole month? So I only have to
check 1 file instead of hundreds (the aggregated file would, of
course, be smaller than the concatenated hourly ones).
Or maybe even as a database? (Onecan dream...)

If not, does anyone volunteer to generate them? They'd really help
with my GLAM tools, increase Wikimedia outreach etc.

Cheers,
Magnus
MZMcBride
2010-11-15 22:35:35 UTC
Post by Magnus Manske
I know there are lots'o'files for daily (hourly?) pageview stats on
the toolserver.
Are there aggregated counts for the whole month? So I only have to
check 1 file instead of hundreds (the aggregated file would, of
course, be smaller than the concatenated hourly ones).
Or maybe even as a database? (Onecan dream...)
If not, does anyone volunteer to generate them? They'd really help
with my GLAM tools, increase Wikimedia outreach etc.
Pageview stats are still a mess and there's no centralized or clean
database, as far as I'm aware. Henrik's tool (stats.grok.se) has an API you
can hit for monthly stats: http://stats.grok.se/json/en/201006/Barack_Obama

That's probably your best bet right now.
Magnus Manske
2010-11-17 07:44:26 UTC
Post by MZMcBride
Post by Magnus Manske
I know there are lots'o'files for daily (hourly?) pageview stats on
the toolserver.
Are there aggregated counts for the whole month? So I only have to
check 1 file instead of hundreds (the aggregated file would, of
course, be smaller than the concatenated hourly ones).
Or maybe even as a database? (Onecan dream...)
If not, does anyone volunteer to generate them? They'd really help
with my GLAM tools, increase Wikimedia outreach etc.
Pageview stats are still a mess and there's no centralized or clean
database, as far as I'm aware. Henrik's tool (stats.grok.se) has an API you
can hit for monthly stats: http://stats.grok.se/json/en/201006/Barack_Obama
That's probably your best bet right now.
And that's what I'm doing, but I need to look for tens of thousands of
pages, and it's very slow, not to mention traffic.
Post by MZMcBride
From what I understand, Wikimedia is devoting resources to setting up Open
Web Analytics. The first test run is supposed to be this week, I think.
That sounds good. Was that announced anywhere?

Thanks,
Magnus
Kolossos
2010-11-17 21:08:23 UTC
Hello, I'm also very interested to get easily montly statistics, that I
can use as criteria for importance of articles to show them on a map[1].
So, I hope we get it.

Greetings Kolossos
[1] http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hilfe:OpenStreetMap/en
Post by Magnus Manske
Post by MZMcBride
Post by Magnus Manske
I know there are lots'o'files for daily (hourly?) pageview stats on
the toolserver.
Are there aggregated counts for the whole month? So I only have to
check 1 file instead of hundreds (the aggregated file would, of
course, be smaller than the concatenated hourly ones).
Or maybe even as a database? (Onecan dream...)
If not, does anyone volunteer to generate them? They'd really help
with my GLAM tools, increase Wikimedia outreach etc.
Pageview stats are still a mess and there's no centralized or clean
database, as far as I'm aware. Henrik's tool (stats.grok.se) has an API you
can hit for monthly stats: http://stats.grok.se/json/en/201006/Barack_Obama
That's probably your best bet right now.
And that's what I'm doing, but I need to look for tens of thousands of
pages, and it's very slow, not to mention traffic.
From what I understand, Wikimedia is devoting resources to setting up Open
Magnus
Frédéric Schütz
2010-11-17 22:42:20 UTC
Would text files (similar to the current page views, but summarised over
each month) be ok ? I have a few scripts (some from Erik Zachte, and
some of mine) that could be adapted to do this.

It's not the most efficient way to do it if you need random access (the
API from stats.grok.se is probably better for this), but it would still
be quite straightforward to parse.

Fr?d?ric
Post by Magnus Manske
Post by MZMcBride
Post by Magnus Manske
I know there are lots'o'files for daily (hourly?) pageview stats on
the toolserver.
Are there aggregated counts for the whole month? So I only have to
check 1 file instead of hundreds (the aggregated file would, of
course, be smaller than the concatenated hourly ones).
Or maybe even as a database? (Onecan dream...)
If not, does anyone volunteer to generate them? They'd really help
with my GLAM tools, increase Wikimedia outreach etc.
Pageview stats are still a mess and there's no centralized or clean
database, as far as I'm aware. Henrik's tool (stats.grok.se) has an API you
can hit for monthly stats: http://stats.grok.se/json/en/201006/Barack_Obama
That's probably your best bet right now.
And that's what I'm doing, but I need to look for tens of thousands of
pages, and it's very slow, not to mention traffic.
From what I understand, Wikimedia is devoting resources to setting up Open
Kolossos
2010-11-18 06:22:49 UTC
A text file would be a good step to put the data in a database.
I did this in past with my public database u_kolossos_wp_logs_p as
there was http://wikistics.falsikon.de/dumps.htm with such text files,
but the last update was 2009.

Greetings Kolossos
Post by Magnus Manske
Post by MZMcBride
Post by Magnus Manske
I know there are lots'o'files for daily (hourly?) pageview stats on
the toolserver.
Are there aggregated counts for the whole month? So I only have to
check 1 file instead of hundreds (the aggregated file would, of
course, be smaller than the concatenated hourly ones).
Or maybe even as a database? (Onecan dream...)
If not, does anyone volunteer to generate them? They'd really help
with my GLAM tools, increase Wikimedia outreach etc.
Pageview stats are still a mess and there's no centralized or clean
database, as far as I'm aware. Henrik's tool (stats.grok.se) has an API you
can hit for monthly stats: http://stats.grok.se/json/en/201006/Barack_Obama
That's probably your best bet right now.
And that's what I'm doing, but I need to look for tens of thousands of
pages, and it's very slow, not to mention traffic.
From what I understand, Wikimedia is devoting resources to setting up Open
Magnus Manske
2010-11-19 22:14:00 UTC
Post by Frédéric Schütz
Would text files (similar to the current page views, but summarised over
each month) be ok ? I have a few scripts (some from Erik Zachte, and
some of mine) that could be adapted to do this.
It's not the most efficient way to do it if you need random access (the
API from stats.grok.se is probably better for this), but it would still
be quite straightforward to parse.
That would be great for me (though of course a database would be even
better). Some time ago I tried to unzip/sort/merge/zip all monthly
data, but it took too long and too many resources.

Magnus
MZMcBride
2010-11-18 23:28:38 UTC
Post by Magnus Manske
From what I understand, Wikimedia is devoting resources to setting up Open
* http://wikitech.wikimedia.org/view/OWA_deployment
* http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Analytics_upgrade

MZMcBride
Krinkle
2010-11-29 02:35:07 UTC
Post by Magnus Manske
Hi,
I know there are lots'o'files for daily (hourly?) pageview stats on
the toolserver.
Where are these text files actually ?

Krinkle
MZMcBride
2010-11-29 20:11:47 UTC
Post by Krinkle
Post by Magnus Manske
I know there are lots'o'files for daily (hourly?) pageview stats on
the toolserver.
Where are these text files actually ?
/mnt/user-store/stats/

MZMcBride